- This event has passed.
UpStart Singer-Songwriter Award – Entry Closing
August 31 @ 12:30 am - 11:30 pm UTC+10
UPSTART AWARD 2019
The UpStart Award is an annual grant of $10,000 to an emerging Victoria singer-songwriter. The award is funded by a music loving family in Melbourne and the winner will be decided by a panel of local artists and music experts.
You might still be busking, you may have recorded a few tracks or you might be playing pub gigs; but you’re not on the map yet.
The award will be adjudicated by a panel consisting of Victorian artists Cash Savage and Henry Wagons, and a range of industry experts from community radio, retail, and streaming services.
Applications open July 17 and close on August 31st. The winner will be announced and interviewed on “The Breakfast Spread” on PBS FM in mid November.
All entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO CAN APPLY?
Entrants for the UpStart Award must be individual song-writers; no bands. If you are in a band, the application may be submitted (and therefore awarded to) the band’s song-writer.
Our definition of an emerging artist means you are not signed to a major record company and you have not played major venues regularly. You are in the development stage of your music career.
You will be expected to already be actively writing songs and performing gigs……or at least busking
It is expected that you will have a plan for a career in music and that you are in this for the long haul.
You need to live in Victoria and have lived here for the last two years.
You must also be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.
You must be a member of APRA AMCOS (see www.apraamcos.com.au).
You need to have an ABN.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. By submitting your work to the UpStart Award you warrant that the work is your own original work and does not infringe on the copyright or licence rights of any third parties
2. The cash prize must be used for purposes specific to your career. For example, to record, for marketing or touring.
3. You cannot use the money for reimbursement for project expenses already incurred, for education fees or to purchase instruments and equipment.
4. Copyright for work submitted to the UpStart Award is yours. UpStart will not seek to retain any ongoing rights or royalties from any of your material.
5. You warrant that your work does not contain any offensive or defamatory material
6. The award is solely for the benefits of the artist. Advisors and management are not eligible to share in the cash prize
7. The panel’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered in to.