- This event has passed.
Applications Close: WAM’s Song of the Year [WA]
March 12 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm WST
WAM’s Song Of The Year is an annual competition, promoting the talented, original songwriting of West Australian artists that embraces contemporary music of all genres, levels and ages.
First established in 1985, the annual Song of the Year Competition coordinated by WAM and presented by Act-Belong-Commit invites songwriters, musicians and bands across Western Australia to submit their songs for a chance to win across multiple categories. The songs are anonymously and independently judged by an expansive range of music industry experts, with the winner of each category also in the running for the Grand Prize. Each year an Awards night is held to announce the winners and showcase some of West Australia’s best home-grown talent.
The competition presents a rare exposure opportunity for WA songwriters to showcase their talents to industry practitioners, with the option to receive direct feedback on their submitted songs. Previous winners of the competition have included iconic WA acts Little Birdy, Stella Donnelly, Luke Steele, Abbe May and Carla Geneve.
Song of the Year 2020 presented by Act-Belong-Commit is open to all West Australian songwriters, bands, and producers from 12pm WST Monday 10 February to 5pm WST Thursday 12 March. Song of the Year 2020 features 17 categories, including; Blues/Roots, Country, Electronic, Experimental, Folk, Jazz, Metal/Heavy, Punk/Hardcore, Pop, Rock, Urban/Hip Hop, Global and Act-Belong-Commit, plus extra categories for Schools 14 Years & Under, Schools 15-17, Outstanding Indigenous and Outstanding Regional. All winners will be celebrated at the Song of the Year Awards Night, with one song selected to win the coveted grand prize.
Entrants also have the opportunity to receive personalised feedback on their songs from leading music minds Anna Laverty, Joel Quartermain (Eskimo Joe), Sam Ford (Tone City Recording Studio) and Tenille Elkins (APRA AMCOS/NM TAFE) via the song evaluation option. More information on evaluations is located HERE.
Grand prize includes:
- $3,000 cash
- 100 x colour vinyl 7 inches pressed courtesy of Rhubarb Records & XVinylX
- Radio ad campaign from RTRFM
- A two-day recording and production session with Best Sound Engineer/Producer (studio) WAMAward recipient, Andy Lawson of Debaser Studio
- A national media servicing campaign for a single or release through Firestarter Distribution
- A 6-hour graphic design package courtesy of Red Room design studio
- 500 posters distributed by The Poster Girls
- The opportunity for a publishing & sync licensing deal with Perfect Pitch Publishing, plus a tutorial in publishing and licensing and ongoing industry mentoring
- 1 complimentary 1 x night’s stay at the Alex Hotel
- An e965 Vocal Condenser Microphone and one set of HD 300 PRO Headphones courtesy of Sennheiser
- 20 tapes pressed courtesy of Space Cassette
- Four sets of Audiofly Pro’s state-of-the-art dual hybrid AF120 MK2 in-ear monitors (valued at $1,200)
- Photo shoot including photo editing from music photographer Cam Campbell from @placeorpoint
- A $500 rehearsal voucher for Pen Cap Chew Studios
- WAMFest 2020 performance offer
- Two passes to WAMCon 2020
The first runner up will receive a $1,500 cash prize, a $200 voucher for Pen Cap Chew Studios, and an e935 Vocal Dynamic Microphone and set of HD 280 PRO Headphones courtesy of Sennheiser. The second runner up will receive a $1,000 cash prize towards their next career move and a $100 voucher for Pen Cap Chew Studios, plus both runner ups will receive two passes to WAMCon 2020 each.
Category prizes include:
- $500 cash prize and a free day of recording or mixing with some of WA’s best recording engineers and producers
Entries for Song of the Year 2020 presented by Act-Belong-Commit are open from 12pm AWST Monday 10 February to 5pm AWST Thursday 12 March via the Song of the Year website.