Brisbane indie soul songstress Bec Laughton has been stopping audiences dead in their tracks with her perfect pairing of infectious pop melodies backed by her powerhouse vocals. Since landing #1 on the triple j Unearthed Roots Charts, snagging CD of the week in the Sydney Morning Herald and Indie Clip of the Week on Rage TV, word about Bec Laughton is spreading fast. Having recently returned from a trip to New York writing/recording with Michael League of Snarky Puppy, Bec took a moment to share her seven key tips to unlocking the music industry.
1. The best live music venues in my area are… I love the Tivoli because it’s got a great big old vintage vibe. The Troubadour (now known as Black Bear Lodge) is super cool for a smaller space and has cool things on.
2. The music scene in Brisbane is… Gold. There are so many epically talented and inspiring people rising up out of Brisbane. Very exciting. And nice because it’s small like a lil family hub.
3. My top tip for artists who self-manage is… Never fear. Take risks and try and make the crazy ideas you wish come to pass. Always asks questions from people who have already done what you want to do.
4. In my opinion, the most important issue facing the music industry is… Limited mindsets. Lack of adventurousness.
6. My biggest career mistake has been… Putting all my eggs in one basket.
7. My best advice for emerging artists is… Think about what you ultimately want out of life/music. What were you made to do, what makes you happy. Never compare yourself to others or try to fit in any boxes. Think about how you/your music can benefit others, don’t let selfishness be your motivation.