Pursuing music as a career can be a long and arduous road. The pay can be terrible, you have to wear a thousand different hats, and the music industry itself is currently in a state of flux. On top of that, most musicians have had to deal with the ‘real job’ discussion from unenlightened friends or family at some point or another. That’s why we here at Musiciio HQ have covered you with some defenses you can use for those sticky conversations.
1. It pays! (Sometimes).
4. And, like any self-managed business, you have to spend money to make money.
5. …Sometimes it feels like allllllll you do is spend money.
7. It involves a lot of sacrifice… and unpaid leg work.
9. And planning. Lots of planning.
10. There’s so much to it that sometimes you forget it’s supposed to be about playing your instrument.
11. Although…nope. It’s hard to forget all the blood, sweat, tears and years you put into practicing your craft.
12. It requires having to deal with constant setbacks and rejection.
13. You have to listen to dumb career advice from people who don’t know what your industry is like.
14. Not to mention deflecting comments like this.
Need some guidance on your music career, self-management, touring or anything else? Become a member of Music Industry Inside Out, and browse our video courses for advice from top-level music industry professionals!