Welcome to Music Industry Inside Out. Use this page to learn your way around.
- Savvy Seven! This is a regular feature where bands and artists answer seven frequently asked questions about the business end of their work
- A Week In The Life Of... ! This popular regular feature gives readers a fascinating insight into a typical workweek for people working busy jobs in the music industry.
- Our national jobs board is one of the most popular pages on the site and is jam-packed with music industry related joblistings from around the country.
- The national music industry events calendar lists music business workshops, panels, masterclasses, grant and funding opportunities, festival opportunities, networking events, conferences and other great opportunities from around the country.
- Our testimonials page shares some of our great reviews and where you can also leave a review of your own.
- Thinking about becoming a member? This is our mega sales information page. It's epic. Full of information. Check it out.
- Our fantastic library of how to articles is a great place to drill down into some tips to grow a sustainable career.
- We have a heap of guest authors contributing content too, including Viv Fantin, Dan Chisholm, Danny Yau, Scott Maughan and more. Their very specialised articles are great reads!
- Check out the Glossary of Music & Music Business Terms
- Our collection of music business/education resources is massive. Go on. Get drilling!
- Once you've bought your membership, the best place to start is to get to know the mentors - who they are, what they do. You can also click on each of these thumbnails to be sent to mentor self-intro's and a list of all their course contributions.
- 33+ hours of Course Content. Click on each thumbnail to be taken to the module and unit listings. Each unit has a time stamp in its title so you know how much time it'll take. You must hit the "NEXT" button for your course progress bar to show. Using this tool is the best way to know which videos you haven't watched yet. As no course is ever finished, and we add new units all the time, it's easy to miss new content!
Individuals can join up for membership on either a $37 monthly or $277 annual pay cycle and can unsubscribe at any time. Membership includes access to over 33 hours worth of video made up of 25+ video courses, 60+ mentor interviews and 850+ unique bite-sized tips on top of the resource lists, downloadable checklists/templates and factsheets, the national job listings board, the national events calendar and all our great free blog how-to articles and interviews!
Organisations can purchase memberships for their cohort. Membership includes access to over 33 hours worth of video made up of 25+ video courses, 60+ mentor interviews and 850+ unique bite-sized tips on top of the resource lists, downloadable checklists/templates and factsheets, the national job listings board, the national events calendar and all our great free blog how-to articles and interviews! You can cancel membership at any time. Prices are flexible, based on your numbers and start from as low as $25 p/y. We can offer unique account pages for each member so they can track their progress.
I signed up to music industry inside out because I was starting out as a young artist and I really needed some help understanding how everything worked. It covers all aspects from managers to booking shows and it’s been so amazing to have successful industry members share their knowledge through such an easy to work platform. I’ve watched all the videos I can and I can safely say I wouldn’t be in the great position I am as an artist if I hadn’t had such an awesome and easy music business and artist education system there to help me along!
There are a lot of courses that you can do and books that you can read to assist your music career. Few of them though, are written by people actually involved directly and regularly in the Australian music industry (and a lot of them cost a lot of money). This site has SO much information that is directly relevant, current and practical and considering what you’re getting it’s very very affordable. I’m a business owner and a mentor as well as a writer and performer and I recommend this site constantly to my clients and can’t recommend it enough – as musicians and teachers we’re incredibly fortunate to have a resource like this at our fingertips!
Music Industry Inside Out is a great resource, especially for young folks like myself who want to get a handle on the industry. It’s not often you find a heap of useful information in one easy to access place and MIIO provides just that. Prepare to spend more time than you anticipate soaking in the knowledge and repeatedly having lightbulb moments.
I just wanted to let you know I’ve spent the last hour watching over some of the videos on your website and to say thanks. I’ve been feeling a little swamped, doubtful and critical of if I can succeed in such an Industry, flying completely solo all the time! While liberating, it can also be such a strain constantly steering a ship with no or limited crew. The vids helped pull me out of my pity party I was throwing. lol. It’s given me back some motivation to keep on trucking, so thanks!
You never know what you don’t know. But Martine and MIIO know exactly what you don’t know. Don’t ask me how they do it, but they seem to post exactly the thing I didn’t even know I needed, right when I need it. Then that leads me down the worm hole to the rest of the content again… there is so much here.. all good… Sure, you can sit in your little cave, blissfully unaware of what you don’t know that you need to know, or just sign up and dive in.
I was invited to share some of my reflections, thoughts, and advice on artist management not too long ago with Music Industry Inside Out. As I reached the decision to take extended leave from artist management, I watched my video contributions and thought, “Hey, there is some really great advice there!” I would encourage anyone taking the baton and entering the music business to subscribe and learn from not only me, but so many generous, clever and insightful people.
MIIO provides useful Info for those desirable to take their music career to the next level. It proves that success in music is not a mistake, giving all round information on rights paths to follow. Kudos.
How have I only just discovered @musiciio? Amazing site for musos – their blog is a wealth of info (especially for those of us in Australia)
Martine Cotton has been a pleasure to deal with and we’re looking forward to introducing Music Tasmania’s members to the valuable industry knowledge available at Music Industry Inside Out.
Just wanted to say – as a teacher I have found the site a great resource and will be trying to get my school to subscribe for next semester. I joined up last month to access a video I thought my student’s might find useful.
Martine and her team have created something incredible. The content is fresh, relevant and helpful – and the level of people contributing their time and expertise is off the charts. I would recommend anyone wanting to connect with the industry and doesn’t know just how to approach it sit down and binge-watch this in the same way you would seasons of The Walking Dead or your favourite show.
I am an independent songwriter and musician and in partnership with my artistic collaborator, Geoffrey Datson, we run Stickylabel – our artist label, and The Greenroom recording studio up on the Sunshine Coast. We are self managed artists and for the past three years we have been working on a large project for our duo Datson+Hughes – a studio recording of our best work. If we were visual artists, it would be a major retrospective. We have invested a frackload of cash in the project, engaging an awardwinning record producer. Music Inside Out has been incredibly helpful. I scoured the site for information, mined it for contacts, and more than anything, it gave me the reassurance that I am on the track with timing, production, marketing and promotion. It is a fantastic resource.
I couldn’t believe my luck when I found out about Music Industry Inside Out. It was the perfect timing for me as I am just getting started on launching my own music promotion company. The short courses and videos are a great resource and we’re so lucky to have all of this at our fingertips. To be able to access artists and experienced industry people is invaluable and is really helping me on my way to making music part of my everyday life.
Music Industry Inside Out has been an invaluable tool for me during the release of my first EP. Planning the release details was a lot easier after watching the various courses on understanding copyright, artist management, DIY music releases and promoting and producing your events, which really educated me on how to successfully plan and put on my EP launch show. Other than just helping with issues I was currently dealing with in my career, MIIO helped me to understand things I didn’t even consider researching on my own. And has consequently allowed me to be more concious and focused of issues that may effect my career in the future . I would encourage any independent musician or emerging music industry professional to join this community if you are serious and committed to making smart, educated decisions in your career. Honestly, it’s better than sliced bread, and I reallllly like bread.
Welcome to Music Industry Inside Out. Use this page to learn your way around. Everything you need to know about what Music Industry Inside Out is, how you can make use of it and what membership offers you!